The Indian School of Business (ISB) was founded in 2001 with the help from a group of pioneers in MBA education in the western world: the London school of business, MIT Sloan School of Management, the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and Northwestern Kellogg School of Management. Since its initiation, the ISB has crossed lap after laps to put India on the map of management education globally. In 2011, ISB inaugurated its second campus at Mohali (besides its first campus at Hyderabad), which aimed to further its vision of shaping global leaders and entrepreneurs for the society.
This article is aimed at providing you with some valuable information for your research related to the class profile and placement reports of ISB’s flagship program – the Post Graduate Program in Management.
Here is an outline of this article:
- Trivia about the Indian School of Business
- General Information on the Indian School of Business
- Indian School of Business PGP – Class Profile, Eligibility Criteria, Cost of Attendance and Course Curriculum
- ISB PGP Placement reports
- ISB Notable Alumni
- ISB PGP Early Entry Option
- ISB PGP International Applicants
Trivia about Indian School of Business
- The flagship course at the ISB, which is the equivalent of an MBA, is called PGP (post-graduate program in management). Besides their flagship PGP program, ISB offers the following post-graduation programs in management: PGP for working professional, PGP for Senior Executives, PGP in Management for Family Business.
- The Indian School of Business has two campuses: Hyderabad campus and Mohali campus, with an intake capacity of 600 and 288
- ISB’s Mohali campus is relatively newer, and it was designed by New York-based firm Perkins Eastman, one of the leading architecture firms in the world.
- ISB’s Mohali campus meets LEEDS Gold sustainability criteria. The campus is equipped with highly efficient electrical and mechanical units, a rainwater harvesting system, and a capable internal lighting infrastructure.
General Information on the Indian School of Business
ISB Hyderabad Campus
Telangana – 500 111
Ph +91 40 2300 7000
ISB Mohali Campus
Knowledge City, Sector 81, SAS Nagar,
Punjab – 140 306
Ph +91 172 459 0000
Dean: Rajendra Srivastava
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.isb.edu
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Blog
ISB PGP – Class Profile, Eligibility Criteria, Cost of Attendance and Course Curriculum
ISB doesn’t look for students from specific backgrounds while allotting its seat for the Post Graduate Program in Management. At ISB, you will find students from diverse backgrounds. ISB has got one of the leading numbers in terms of intake of female students, students from engineering and non-engineering backgrounds, and students with work experience that can range up to 20 years. It is usually a rare occurrence in Indian business schools that a 45-year old with more than 20 years of work experience enrolls for a PGP in management. But with ISB, it isn’t so rare.
The infographic below depicts ISB’s class profile for 2020 with statistics about the gender distribution, age, GMAT scores, work experience, and academic background of the students.
Admissions to ISB PGP: Eligibility Criteria
The admission application process of ISB PGP aims at evaluating the applicants on their academic performance of the past. To check the eligibility of a candidate for the program, the admissions committee at ISB considers the following parameters:
- GMAT scores (or GRE scores)
- Post-graduation or certification Scores (if applicable to the candidate)
- Graduation Scores
- 12th Grade Scores
- TOEFL/IELTS Scores (for applicants from countries other than India)
The institution maintains that there are no specific cut-off scores for either of these parameters. Besides, to qualify for admission into ISB’s PGP, a candidate must also have at least 24 months of full-time work experience.
For students who have graduated recently and have less than 24-months of full-time work experience, ISB has a deferred admission option. It is called the Early Entry Option. Through this option, ISB allows the students to secure admission into their PGP program for a later period. Once they have worked for at least 24 months in a full-time job, they become eligible to join the PGP at ISB.
ISB PGP Application Deadline
Every year, ISB allots seats to the applicants into its flagship PGP program through different rounds of application. Applying through either of the application rounds does not have any impact on your chances of securing admission into the program. But, it affects your chances of securing the scholarships.
The first-round applicants have better chances of securing scholarships than the ones who apply through the later rounds.
The application deadlines, as well as the application fees for each round, are as follows:
|Application Fee||Application Deadline|
|Round 1||INR 5,000||September 15, 2019|
|Round 2||INR 7,500||December 1, 2019|
|Round 3||INR 10,000||January 1, 2020|
Indian School of Business – Cost of Attendance
For the incoming PGP batch of 2019 – 2020, the fee structure and overall program expenses are as shown in the following tables:
|Accommodation||For Shared – INR 2,78,000.00 |
For Studio – INR 4,00,000.00
|Library and Recreation Fee||15,000.00|
|Alumni Association Membership Deposit||25,000.00|
Moreover, you will be charged with a non-refundable admission fee of INR 2,95,000 (inclusive of 18% GST) at the time of acceptance of the admission offer.
You also need to plan for certain extra expenses, such as the purchase of books and laptops, in-campus meal plans, and other miscellaneous costs. (An estimate of INR 2 Lakhs approximately)
ISB PGP: A little about the Course Curriculum
The ISB’s course curriculum has been formulated, keeping various learning objectives as well as diverse backgrounds of its student base into account. The course calendar is segmented into eight terms in the following manner:
- Term 1-3: Only Core Courses
- Term 4: Mix of Core courses and Electives
- Term 5-8: Only Electives
The first three terms that are dedicated to the core courses comprise of full-time course load of 4-5 subjects each. The fourth term is a cross-over term, during which the students are taught a mix of core subjects and the chosen electives. The core courses aim at equipping the students with strong fundamental knowledge of essential subjects like finance, marketing, operations, strategy-making, and IT management.
Along with the core courses, ISB makes a list of 80 elective subjects available to its students. You can opt for electives based on your field of interest. For specialization in any concentration or industry, you need to complete at least six credits of course work through their electives. They can choose to take up from 17 to 21 of the elective credits.
Student Exchange Programs at ISB
ISB has tie-ups with several leading business schools from all around the globe. It believes in broadening the horizon for the students and teach them to build a global approach. For exchange program opportunities, students are encouraged to choose from a list of 42 partnered business schools, based on their career goals and requirements. Some of the most renowned business schools partnered with ISB for their student exchange programs are:
- Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, United States
- Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, United States
- Melbourne Business School, University in Melbourne, Australia
- Fuqua School of Business. Duke University, United States
- Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, United States
- Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, United States
- Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, United States
- Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, United States
Moreover, ISB has got an inbound student exchange program through which international exchange students are welcomed to undertake two terms of their course at the ISB campuses.
Besides the outbound and inbound exchange programs, there is an Inter-Campus Exchange program for ISB students. During the third term and the elective terms (5th– 8th Terms), ISB gives its students the opportunity to make inter-campus swaps between ISB Hyderabad campus and ISB Mohali Campus.
ISB PGP placement report
With an integrated placement process set in place at both the campuses, ISB’s placement report has show growth in its employment statistics in recent years. There has been a gradual year-after-year increase in the PGP students’ average salaries during the recent placement seasons. Have a look.
|Average Salary (in INR)||18,15,964||19,12,444||22,58,273||20,76,383||22,13,592||24,35,915|
Along with a steady rise in the average salary, there has been a gradual growth in the number of firms that show their interest in hiring the students passing out of ISB every year. The ISB placement report shown depicts the number of companies that have registered with the placement cell of ISB year after year, and the number of offers made by these companies during the placement seasons:
|No. of Firms||350||267||297||411||375||373|
|No. of Offers Made||884||987||1151||1113||1136||1309|
ISB PGP industry-wise placement report
The ISB PGP placement report table shown below depicts the industry-wise distribution of the placements in recent times:
|Industry Wise||2014(%)||2015(%)||2016(%)||2017(%)||2018 (%)||2019(%)|
|Financial Services (Banks, etc.)||8||8||8||8||5||10|
|Infrastructure/ Construction/Real Estate||3||7||5||4||4||2|
The pie-chart below represents the industry-wise distribution of the ISB PGP placement report 2019. Have a look:
ISB PGP function-wise Placement report
The ISB PGP placement report table shown below depicts the function-wise distribution of placements in recent times:
|Function Wise||2014 (%)||2015
|General management / Strategic Planning||20||16||17||11||12||17|
|Sales & Marketing||18||11||18||20||21||14|
The pie-chart below represents the function-wise distribution of the ISB PGP placement report 2019. Have a look:
ISB Major Recruiting Companies
Close to 370 recruiting companies made more than 1300 employment offers during ISB’s placement season of 2019. The average salary for the jobs secured by the students was INR 25 lakhs (approximately). The image below shows a list of companies that recruited at least three ISB students:
Some other companies that recruited more than three ISB PGP graduates from the class of 2019 are Bain, Reliance Industries, GrabTaxi Holdings, McKinsey, LEK Consulting, HDFC Bank, Microsoft, and Rivigo.
ISB Notable Alumni
- Neeraj Arora, Board of Directors, Vivino
- Dr. Charu Arora, Senior Product Manager, Reliance Jio Infocom Limited
- Dr. Dinesh Reddy, Associate Director, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratory
- Namratha Agarwal, Manager, ZS
- Viren W Rasquinha, CEO, Olympic Gold Quest
- Atul Satija, Founder, N/Core, Give
- Zahabiya Khorakiwala, Managing Director, Wockhardt Hospitals
- Piyush Shah, Co-Founder, InMobi Group, and CEO, TruFactor
- Ajith Andhare, COO, Viacom18 Studios
- Alok Goel, Partner, SAIF Partners, and Ex CEO- FreeCharge
ISB PGP Early Entry Option
You must have at least twenty-four months of full-time work experience to be eligible for admission into ISB’s PGP. However, if you have less than 24 months of full-time work experience, you can still apply for a deferred admission through ISB’ Early Entry Option. The early entry option secures the seat for you and allows you to take admission into the PGP, once you have successfully attained at least 24 months of full-time work experience.
Eligibility Criteria for PGP Early Entry Option
The prerequisites for admission into ISB PGP through the early entry option is more or less the same. You are required to fulfill the following criteria:
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent
- You must have a valid GMAT or GRE scores (Valid at least till the start of the program)
- You must have a valid TOEFL/IELTS Score (if the language of the highest degree attained by the candidate is not English)
- You must have less than 24 months of full-time work experience before March 31, 2020
Note: If you get selected for deferred admission into PGP through the early entry option, you will have to pay the first installment of the admission fee (INR 2,50,000 + service tax) within ten days from the date on which the admission offer is made.
ISB PGP – International Applicants
Besides meeting the essential eligibility criteria for admission into ISB PGP (i.e., having a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, a valid GMAT or GRE scores, TOEFL/IELTS scores and 24 months of full-time work experience), the international applicants are also required to undergo either a face-to-face or an online interview round.
Note: The admission decision for international applicants is taken through a rolling admission process. The students are informed about their selection within six weeks of the application.