University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business is a public US educational institution which offers MBA, Ph.D., and Executive MBA programs. Darden School of business was founded in 1955 and takes its name after Colgate Whitehead Darden, Jr., who was the 54th governor of Virginia.
The business school is located in the North grounds of the University of Virginia. Darden MBA program is known for using the case method as a primary method of teaching.
So, let’s introduce the Darden School of Business MBA program to you. Here is the outline of the article:
- General information on the Darden School of Business
- Darden MBA program – Class profile, MBA fees, median salary
- Darden MBA Application Deadlines 2019 – 2020
- Darden MBA employment industries and salaries of graduating class of 2019
- Darden School of Business – Notable Alumni
- Other MBA programs you should consider
General information on Darden School of Business
Location – 100 Darden Boulevard, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903 USA
Dean – Scott C. Beardsley
Admissions Office – Darden School of Business, Office of Admissions, 100 Darden Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA 22903
Phone: +1-434-924-7281 or 800-UVA-MBA1
Darden MBA cost of attendance, average salary, and class profile
Below are the details on the Darden MBA program’s class profile, cost of attendance, median salary.
|S. No.||Darden School of Business||Numbers|
|4||GMAT Range||600 – 780|
|5||Work Experience (Average)||4 years|
|6||Tuition Cost (per year class of 2022)||Virginia residents – $69,600 |
Non-Virginia residents – $72,600
International students – $72,800
|8||% Employed after graduation||97%|
|10||Average signing bonus||$33,458|
Darden MBA incoming class profile 2021
Here are the detailed statistics on the Darden MBA incoming class of 2018.
|GMAT Scores range||600 – 780|
|GPA Range||2.55 – 4.0|
|% of women in the class||40%|
|% of international students||33%|
Darden MBA Application Deadlines 2019-2020
Darden School of Business acceptance rate was 24.5% for 2018 admissions. The admission process is competitive and we recommend applying either in Round 1 or Round 2. Moreover, Darden has an early action round, which gives you a first-mover advantage in the admissions process.
Here are the details on the application deadlines for Round 1, Round 2, and Round 3 of Darden MBA admissions.
|Darden MBA admissions rounds||Application Deadline||Interview Invites||Decisions|
|Early Action||Sept 3, 2019||Schedule Your Own||Oct 9, 2019|
|Round One||Oct 4, 2019||By Invitation||Dec 11, 2019|
|Round Two||Jan 6, 2020||By Invitation||March 18, 2020|
|Round Three||Apr 6. 2020||By Invitation||May 6, 2020|
Darden MBA employment and salaries
The maximum number of Darden MBA graduates of 2019 found employment in Consulting and Finance/Accounting Function. For the class of 2019, 36.2% of students accepted employment in Consulting followed by 24% and 18% in Finance and General Management.
Below are the employment statistics of the Darden MBA class of 2019 by industry and function. The average salary was $135,168 and the average signing bonus was $33,458.
Employment Data by Job Function
Consulting function apparently fetched the highest mean base salary of $158,000 and employed 36.2% of the 2019 class. 24% of the Darden’s MBA class of 2019 found employment in Finance job function with a mean base salary of $150,000.
Here is detailed employment data of Darden’s graduating class of 2019 based on job function.
|Percentage||Median Base salary|| |
|Consulting||36.2%||$158,000||$81,315 – $173,000|
|Finance/Accounting||24%||$150,000||$50,000 – $160,000|
|General Management||18.5%||$125,000||$95,000 – $150,000|
|Marketing/Sales||14.6%||$120,000||$76,259 – $142,000|
|Information technology||3.8%||$130,000||$70,000 – $140,000|
|Operations/Logistics||1.7%||$115,400||$108,000 – $130,000|
Employment Data by Industry
Consulting industry not only gave employment opportunity to the largest number of Darden MBA graduates but also paid the highest, with an average salary of $160,000.
Here is detailed employment data of Darden’s graduating class of 2019 based on industry.
|Industry||Percentage||Average Base Salary||Salary Range|
|Consumer Packages Goods||2.8%||$109,000||$80,000-$115,000|
|Hospitality and Tourism||2.1%||$115,000||$105,000-$130,000|
Employment by Location
31% of the 2018 graduating class of Darden MBA found employment in the North East followed by 19% from the Mid-Atlantic region and 17% from West region.
|Location||Percentage||Median Base Salary||Salary Range|
Major Employers – Darden School of Business
Top Consulting employers
- McKinsey & Co.
- Boston Consulting Group
- Bain & Co. Accenture
Top Investment Banking employers
- JPMorgan Chase
- Credit Suisse
- Deutsche Bank
Top Technology employers
Top employers for international students
- Boston Consulting Group
- Deutsche Bank
Darden School of Business Notable Alumni
Darden School of Business has a network of 15,000+ alumni spread across 91 countries.
Here are some notable alumni of Darden School of Business:
- Karun Tahilramani – Founder and CEO, Ratingsville
- Tom Poole – Senior Vice President for Digital Payments and Identity, Capital One
- Ruffner Page – President and CEO, McWane Inc.
- Nishita Henry – Chief Innovation Officer, Deloitte Consulting
- Nancy Lyons Callahan – Global Vice President of Strategy, SAP Digital Business Services
- Deborah Thomas – Vice President, Comcast
- Robert Citrone – billionaire hedge fund manager and co-founder of Discovery Capital Management
- George David – CEO and Chairman of United Technologies Corporation
- Thomas Shannon – CEO, Bowlmor Lanes
- Doug Lebda – Founder, Chairman & CEO of Lending Tree
- Douglas “Doug” Haynes (MBA ’92) – Former President and CEO, Point72 Asset Management
Other MBA Programs to consider
- Stretch Schools: Columbia, Kellogg, MIT Sloan, Dartmouth Tuck
- Match Schools: UC Berkeley, Duke’s Fuqua, NYU Stern, Michigan Ross, Yale SOM, Cornell
- Safe Schools: CMU Tepper, UCLA Anderson, UNC Kenan Flagler
Logos are properties of respective institutions.
Information Source – Darden MBA employment report