Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management has added a new STEM-Designated Management Science major to its MBA program. According to Kellogg, MBA candidates who chose this major would be well-prepared for careers in Finance, Consulting, and Entrepreneurship.
Kellogg one of the Highest Ranked Programs to Add STEM-Designated Major
Kellogg is one of the highest-ranked schools besides Wharton, CMU Tepper, UC Berkeley Haas, and Darden School of Business to add a STEM-Designation to their MBA Program/Major.
According to Matthew Merrick, Associate Dean of Degree Operations, following are just a few of the questions that the new Management Science Major aims to answer:
- How to use big data efficiently to understand capital markets?
- How to identify opportunities to apply analytical techniques and models to solve problems of business organizations?
The major is led by distinguished Kellogg faculty such as:
- Dashun Wang (Associate Professor of Management and Organizations)
- Nancy Qian (Professor of Managerial Economics and Decision Sciences
- Rima Touré-Tillery (Associate Professor of Marketing)
Kellogg does not require students to declare a major during the MBA program, however, those who take at least 4 qualifying courses will receive notice of the major on their transcript.
What are the subject areas and courses available in the Management Science Major?
Following are some of the different subject areas and the courses that can be taken by students pursuing the management Science Major:
- Managerial Accounting
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Financial Decisions
- Capital Markets
- Derivatives Market
Strategy and Analytics
- People Analytics and Strategy
- Strategy and Organization
- Analytics for Strategy
A full list of coursework and subject areas can be viewed here.
What kind of careers can students look forward to with the Mangement Science Major?
According to Kellogg, students who choose the Management Science major will be well-prepared for post-MBA jobs in a wide variety of fields including Consulting, Finance, and Entrepreneurship.
The career management center at Kellogg works directly with recruiters to identify particular job opportunities where students with the major would be a good fit.
Benefits of the Management Science Major for International Students
Since the Management Science major qualifies as a STEM-Designated field of study, international students that graduate with the major are eligible for the additional 24-month STEM-OPT extension to their F-1 visas. Thus international students can extend their stay and work in the U.S for a total of 36-months after they graduate from the MBA program.
Kellogg MBA Class Profile: Class of 2021
Following are some statistics of the class of 2021 at the Kellogg MBA program:
|2021 Kellogg MBA Class Profile
|Average Work Experience
|Work Experience Range
|% of International Students
|% of Women
Industry Backgrounds: Class of 2021 – Kellogg MBA Program
Educational background: Class of 2021 – Kellogg MBA Program
2019-2020 Kellogg MBA Application Deadlines
|September 18, 2019
|January 8, 2020
|April 8, 2020
Here a few articles you may like:
- All you need to know about STEM MBA Programs
- How to Extend your Stay in the US after your MBA (Post-MBA work visa)
- UC Berkeley Haas and CMU Tepper MBA programs are now STEM-Designated
- Kellogg MBA Essay Questions – Analysis and Tips
- What is a good GMAT score for the Kellogg School of Management?
- GMAT 770 with Admits from Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Wharton, and INSEAD
- Kellogg MBA Employment Reports and Salaries