Founded in 1974, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business is the business school of Rice University in Houston, Texas. This business school is known for its foundation in marketing, management, accounting, finance, and other courses. Its areas of excellence in energy, health care & entrepreneurship make it stand apart from other business schools in the region. Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University offers Master of Business Administration (MBA), MBA for Executives, MBA for Professionals, and Master of Accounting (MAcc) degrees.
In this article, we have covered all the key information about the Rice MBA Program at the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business.
Following is a brief outline of the article:
- Trivia about the Jones Graduate School of Business
- General information about the Jones Graduate School of Business
- Rice MBA Program – Jones Graduate School of Business: Class Profile 2020, Cost of Attendance, Median Salary
- Jones Graduate School of Business: 2019-2020 MBA Application Deadlines
- Rice MBA – Jones Graduate School of Business: Employment Reports and Salaries Class of 2019
- Jones Graduate School of Business: Major Employers
- Jones Graduate School of Business: Notable Alumni
- Other MBA programs you should consider
Trivia about Rice University – Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business
- Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business is named in the honor of Jesse Holman Jones, who was a Houston business and civic leader.
- The school received its early investment from the Houston Endowment Inc., a philanthropic foundation founded by Jones and his wife, Mary Gibbs Jones in 1974.
- Located on a 285-acre wooded campus, this business school is one of the best places for students to live, study, play & grow.
- The business school offers various joint degree programs, comprising MBA/ME with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, the MD/MBA with Baylor College of Medicine, and MBA/MS with Rice’s Wiess School of Natural Sciences.
- Rice’s flagship entrepreneurship initiative – the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship, which was started in late 1999, is based on a strategic alliance with the schools of engineering, science, and business.
- Till date, the Rice Alliance has supported over 1,500 start-ups in their launch & in raising more than $2.9 billion investment.
- In 2013 & 2014, the Rice Alliance got ranked as No. 1 among business incubators from top universities.
- Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business has more than 6,000 alumni across 55 countries in almost every big industry.
General information about the Jones School of Business
Location –Houston, Texas
Dean – Peter Rodriguez
Admissions Office – McNair Hall, Loop Road, Houston, TX 77005
Jones Graduate School of Business – Rice MBA Program – Class profile | Cost of Attendance | Median Salary
Please find the below details on the MBA program’s class profile, cost of attendance & median salary. In terms of the tuition fee, Jones’s MBA is one of the most affordable MBA programs, scholarships are also available.
|S. No.||Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business||Numbers|
|3||Incoming Class Size 2020||118|
|5||Work Experience (Average)||5.4 years|
|6||Tuition Cost (Fall 2020 – Spring 2021)||$60,940|
|8||% Employed after 3 months of graduation 2019||92.3%|
|9||Average Base Salary 2019||$ 124,798|
|10||Average Signing Bonus 2019||$ 26,529|
Jones Graduate School of Business – Rice MBA: Incoming Class Profile 2020
Jones Business School offers one of the best Masters of Business Administration (MBA) programs in the country. This business school has alumni from 55 countries, which is one of the highest among the top US business schools. Last year, Rice received 587 applications, a steep 28% fall. Despite this drop-off in applications, the program boosted enrolment to 118 students with an acceptance rate of 39%. (12 points more the previous year).
Here, find the detailed statistics on MBA incoming class of 2020:
|3||GMAT Scores (80% range)||660 – 740|
|5||Average Work Experience||5.4 years|
|7||% of women in the class||31%|
|8||% of international citizens||24%|
Jones Graduate School of Business – Rice MBA Program
Jones’s School of Business acceptance rate was 39% for 2018 which has now hit record low 8.7% for 2019 admissions cycle. The admission process is highly competitive and we recommend applying early in round 1 or latest by round 2. Following are the class of 2022 application deadlines.
Rice MBA – Jones Graduate School of Business: Class of 2020 Application Deadlines
|Decision Round||Deadline||Decision Date|
|Round 1||October 11, 2019||December 6, 2019|
|Round 2||January 3, 2020||Domestic: March 6, 2020 |
International: March 13, 2020
|Round 3||April 3, 2020||May 8, 2020|
Jones Graduate School of Business – Rice MBA Program – Employment and salaries – Class of 2019
A majority of Jones MBA graduates chose employment in Consulting services (29.5%), followed by finance services (21.1%), and Energy/Petroleum (17.9%). 92.3 % of graduated has received job offers with the average base salary of $ 124,798, with an average signing bonus of $ 26,529. Check out the below table for a detailed report on Jones’s MBA graduate’s employment by industry, function & region.
Rice MBA – Jones Graduate School of Business: Employment by Industry
|Industry||Percentage||Average Salary ($)||Average Signing bonus ($)||Top Employers|
|Consulting Services||29.5%||140,359||25,417||KPMG, Deloitte Consulting, EY, McKinsey, Accenture, BCG|
|Financial Services||21.1%||134,310||40,000||Barclays, BMO, Capital One, JP Morgan, Bank of America|
|Petroleum/Energy||17.9%||118,674||19,538||BP, CenterPoint Energy, Shell, NRG Energy, Chevron|
|Technology||11.6%||105,700||12,333||Dell, Apple, T-Mobile, HPE, Nuro|
|Consumer Products||3.2%|| |
**Data yet to be published by University
Rice MBA – Employment by Function
Over 35.5% of students chose Consulting functions. Other major functions chosen by Rice MBA graduates are Finance/Accounting (30.1%) and General Management (10.8%).
Salary statistics by function for the class of 2019 is yet to be published by the university.
Rice MBA – Employment by Location
More than 70% of Jones graduates choose employment in the South central.
The table shown below represents Salary by location of Jones MBA class of 2018. Data for the class of 2019 is yet to be published by the university.
|North American Sub- Regions||Graduates |
Accepting New Employment
|Number Reporting Salary||Mean Base |
|Median Base |
|Low Base Salary||High |
|Total North America||84||100.0 %||84||$113,163||$111,240||$69,992||$175,000|
Jones Graduate School of Business: Major Employers
Major employers from various different industries recruit from the Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University. A few notable employers and major are:
- Alvarez and Marsal
- McKinsey & Company
- Deutsche Bank
- Credit Suisse
- P Morgan Chase
- Barclay’s Capital
- Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Phillips 66
- Ernst & Young
- Minute Maid
- North Highland
- Morgan Stanley
Jones Graduate School of Business – Notable Alumni
Jones’s global alumni community includes more than 6000 members in more than 55 countries. Here is a list of the notable alumni of the Jones School of Business:
- George Rufus Brown – George was a prominent Houston entrepreneur who led Brown & Root Inc. to make one of the largest construction companies across the globe.
- Linda Ham – She was the Constellation Program Transition and Technology Infusion Manager at NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration).
- Jim Turley (an American business executive) – Earlier, he served Ernst & Young as a chairman and the chief executive officer (CEO), from 2001 to 2013. He is currently serving as the National Chairman of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Mitchell Burt Bainwol (Trade Association Executive)- Currently, he is serving as the President and CEO of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. Previously, in 2003 until 2011, he was serving as the Chairman and CEO for the Recording Industry Association of America.
- John Doerr – He is an active American investor and venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins
- Douglas Foshee – Douglas is an American entrepreneur & business leader.
Other MBA programs you should consider
If you are looking for alternate opportunities to apply in other similar business schools, following are some other options that are a close match to Jones Business School in terms of GMAT and GPA, age and work experience. We have listed the programs by stretch, match, and safety. Note that these options are presented on the basis of the schools’ brand image and ranking status as a general yardstick.