OG 2020: Question No. 316
If a and b are integers, is a5 < 4b?
- a3 = –27
- b2 = 16
Steps 1 & 2: Understand Question and Draw Inferences
In this question, we are given
- The numbers a and b are integers.
We need to determine
- Whether a5 < 4b or not.
For this, we need more information about the integers a and b. Hence, let us analyse the individual statements.
Step 3: Analyse Statement 1
As per the information given in statement 1, a3 = -27
- If a3 = -27, then a = -3, which is a negative number
- Therefore, a5 will be equal to (-3)5, which is also a negative number.
- However, for any integer value of b, 4b will be always positive.
- Therefore, a5 < 4b
Hence, statement 1 is sufficient to answer the question.
Step 4: Analyse Statement 2
As per the information given in statement 2, b2 = 16
- From this statement, we can say that b can be either 4 or -4.
- However, we do not get any relevant information about the value of a.
Hence, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer the question.
Step 5: Combine Both Statements Together (If Needed)
Since we can determine the answer from statement 1 individually, this step is not required.
Hence, the correct answer choice is option A.
Take a free GMAT mock to understand your baseline score and start your GMAT prep with our free trial. We are the most reviewed online GMAT Prep company with 2060+ reviews on GMATClub.