OG 2020: Question No. 99
In the floor plan of an executive’s beach house above, the north and south walls of the living room are parallel. What is the floor area, in square feet, of the bedroom?
- It cannot be determined from the information given.
Let us name the point in the diagram as shown below:
- AE = 30 ft
- BE = 30 ft
- CF = 15 ft
- AD = 30 ft
- CD = 30 ft
- Area of Bedroom or ∆ACD
Approach and Working:
Since EF is parallel to BC, So, two corresponding angles of ∆AEF and ∆ABC will be equal.
- ∆AEF and ∆ABC are similar triangles.
- Therefore, AE/ AB = AF /FC
- 30/(30 + 30) = x/(x + 15)
- x = 15
- AC = x + 15 = 30 ft
- Hence, ∆ACD is an equilateral triangle since all the sides are equal.
- Thus, Area of ∆ACD = √3/4 * 302 = 225√3
Therefore, option C is the correct answer.
Did you know a 700+ GMAT Score can increase your chances to get into your dream business school? We can help you achieve that. Why don’t you try out our FREE Trial? We are the most reviewed online GMAT Preparation company in GMATClub with more than 1950 reviews as of October 2020.