Located in the heart of downtown Montréal, McGill University -Desautels Faculty of Management’s MBA program is ranked #1 in Canada and 48th in the world by Wallstreet 2018 and Times higher education. Created with a student-centric approach, the McGill MBA program allows its students to complete their degree in 12, 16, 20, or 28 months.
In this article, we explore the McGill MBA program, particularly it’s class profile, employment reports, and salaries. Here is an outline of this article:
- McGill University MBA program – General information
- Trivia about McGill University – Desautels’ MBA program
- McGill University Desautels MBA Program – Class Profile
- McGill University MBA admissions information
- McGill Desautels MBA Program – Application Deadline
- Eligibility criteria for McGill Desautels MBA admissions
- Cost of attendance – McGill University MBA Program
- Admission Process for McGill University MBA Program
- McGill Desautels MBA Employment Report
- Recruiting Partners for the McGill Desautels MBA program
- Notable Alumni
McGill University MBA program – General information
Desautels Faculty of Management McGill University
Bronfman Building, 1001 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, H3A1G5
Working hours: Monday to Friday – 7:00 to 22:00
Trivia about the McGill MBA program
- The MBA program offers its students the flexibility to customize their MBA program and complete their degree at their own pace
- The Soutar Career Centre at McGill University offers one on one career coaching through personalized career preparation and planning. Apart from helping students in their interviews and planning recruiting events, the Soutar career center also plays a critical role in the admissions process by providing feedback to the non-typical candidates.
- Experiential component: McGill MBA students must apply and participate in the selection process for the internship and exchange program.
- Base Camp: To ensure that all the candidates that enter the MBA program are at the same level of competency in basic quantitative skills, the McGill University offers a compulsory two weeks Base Camp class, which starts few weeks before the orientation.
- Montréal ranks as one of the best cities by QS student cities ranking 2018
McGill University MBA Program: Class Profile
The McGill MBA program has a close-knit class of 65 to 85 students from a diverse background. Typically, the class has around 35% of students from business, 20% from science, 35% from engineering, and 10% from social science.
Over 60% of MBA students at McGill are international students representing more than 21 countries. The below image represents the typical class profile of the program.
McGill University – Desautels MBA: Admissions Information
McGill University is looking for talented candidates that have strong academics, managerial potential, and leadership skills. With the ultimate flexibility in MBA program length and specialization, McGill provides a global perspective to shape the world’s future leaders.
McGill considers various components while evaluating an applicant, such as the academic credentials, GMAT /GRE scores, IELTS/TOEFL, work experience, essays, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities.
If you are planning to apply to the McGill Desautels MBA program, then you should be aware of the various aspects of the program, such as the eligibility criteria, the application process, deadline, and cost of attendance.
McGill MBA Program: Application Deadline
For the class of 2020, McGill has 4 application rounds. The details regarding the application deadline for all the four rounds are in the table below:
|McGill MBA Application deadline||Dates|
|Round 1||1st November 2019|
|Round 2||15th January 2020|
|Round 3||15th March 2020|
|Round 4||1st May 2020|
NOTE: The final deadline for international students is March 15th, and for Canadian citizens/permanent residents is 1st May.
Eligibility criteria for McGill University -Desautels MBA admissions
As discussed previously, there are various components that McGill evaluates during the admissions of its MBA program. McGill looks at the overall profile of a candidate; thus, each element of the McGill online application form is essential. To apply for the McGill MBA class of 2020, you should fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- You should have an undergraduate degree or any equivalent degree in other disciplines
- Minimum 2 years of work experience after your undergraduate degree
- TOEFL or IETLS score
- GMAT or GRE score
Apart from the above documents to prove your eligibility for the McGill MBA program, you also need to submit the below documents:
- Two letters of recommendations
- Updated CV
- Three Essay questions
McGill University MBA: Cost of Attendance
The program fee for the McGill MBA 2019 2-year program for domestic students is $41,636.59, which includes the fee for international trips, any ancillary fees, and health/dental insurance. Similarly, the cost for an international student is $47,251.09.
Below table represents an approximate cost of attendance for the McGill MBA Program:
|Cost of Attendance||Domestic Students (CDN$)||International Students (CDN$)|
|Information technology charge||246.90||246.90|
|General administration charges||347.39||347.39|
|MBA Tuition Waiver for Quebec and Canadian Students||(4,750)|
Note: Tuition rates shown above are for 2019-20.
Apart from the above expenses, the estimated cost of living and personal expenses will vary from individuals. Below table represents the estimated cost of living:
|Estimated Cost of Living||Amount|
|Accommodations (Rent and food)||$9,000 to $14,500|
Admission Process for McGill University Desautels MBA Program
The admissions process for the McGill MBA consists of three steps:
- Download the MBA online Application(uApply): For the first step, you need to download the online application and make an account. After making an account, you need to mention your details with education history.
Before applying, a non-refundable fee of $5,000 is payable once the application is received, McGill sents an email with your ID number.
Below is a screenshot of what McGill MBA online application looks like:
- Uploading supporting documents: All the supporting documents need to be uploaded directly to uApply, in a PDF format. The documents include:
- Essay Questions: The McGill MBA application requires 3 essays
- Reference letters: Two recommendation letters with the names and email addresses of professionals who were directly responsible for your evaluation needs to be submitted. McGill will automatically contact them and ask them to upload the references.
- Transcripts: All the transcripts related to your education should be uploaded
- GMAT and TOEFL results: You can directly send the results of your GMAT exams to McGill University by putting the institution code: 0935. Similarly, for TOEFL results, the department code is “02,” and the code is: “0935.”
- MBA Applicant Survey: An online survey regarding the McGill Admissions process also needs to be submitted.
- Once the university receives the application, shortlisted candidates are invited an interview, after which it takes up to four weeks for the final decision. The final admission decision can take up to four weeks.
McGill MBA Program: Employment Report & Salaries
McGill MBA batch 2018 had 90% of placement within three months of graduation. With an excellent career development center that provides students with essential tools, networks, and resources, McGill offers students unique career opportunities. The majority of the 2018 MBA graduates are in Canada, with 45% of them in Montreal, 35% in Toronto, 14% in the rest of Canada, and 6% internationally.
With the support of career services, the MBA Mentoring Program at McGill University allows students to engage with mid-high-level executives to lessen the gap between academic learning. The program helps in preparing for job interviews and provides an opportunity for networking and learning information about a new field, which can come in handy if you are looking for a career change.
Below chart and a table show the McGill MBA Employment statistics and salary 2018 by function:
|Function-Wise Salary Report||Mean Base Salary||Base Salary Range|
|Consulting||$95,900||$60,000 – $175,000|
|Finance||$92,500||$60,000 – $155,000|
|General Management||$88,400||$65,000 – $110,000|
|Marketing/Business Development||$80,300||$60,000 – $95,000|
|Technology||$78,300||$70,000 – $85,000|
|Others||$70,500||$68,000 – $75,000|
McGill University MBA Program: Top Recruiters
Career services at McGill have partnered with organizations to understand their needs and develop a strategy that will allow them to gain visibility on campus to hire the best candidate. McGill has an online portal called myFuture, where recruiters can post job vacancies and manage student’s applications.
Below is the list of recent recruiters for the McGill Desautels MBA program:
|Aldo||McKinsey & Company||Amazon|
|Beiersdorf||Morgan Stanley||AIG Japan|
|Bioconnect||Novartis||Brain & Company|
|Bombardier||Paladin Labs, Inc.||BCG|
|Caisse de depot||Pfizer Inc.||DHL Supply Chain|
|Capital One||PSP Investments||KPMG|
|CIBC||RBC||McKinsey & Company|
|Cirque de Soleil||Sanofi Pasteur||PwC|
|David Tea||Scotiabank||Syngenta Crop Protection|
|Desjardins||TD Bank||United Nations|
|Ernst & Young||Aimia||Yoma Bank|
|GlaxoSmithKline||Axium Infrastructure||A.T. Kearney|
|KPMG||BMO Financial Group||Christian Dior|
|Kraft Foods Groups Inc.||CAE||Credit Suisse Group|
|Chappuis Halder & Co.||Ericsson Inc.|
|Cidel Wealth Management||H&M|
|Cox Automotive||Janssen Inc.||Mercer|
|Deloitte||Letko, Brousseau & Associates||Navigant Consulting|
|Mars Discovery District||Oliver Wyman|
|Merrill Lynch||PepsiCo Inc.|
|National Bank of Canada||Procter & Gamble|
|Rio Tinto/Iron Ore of Canada|
McGill University – Desautels MBA Program: Notable Alumni
McGill MBA Alumni span the globe, with a network of over 275,000, each Alumni has a unique set of experiences. Below mentioned are few of the notable Alumni of McGill University’s MBA program:
Here are a few more article on Canadian Business Schools and their MBA Programs: