- For e-GMAT's Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning customers only
- Twice as many teaching hours as any other test prep company
- Designed to help students achieve 40+ on GMAT verbal
- Emphasis on application and analysis
What are Verbal Live Sessions?
- Live sessions are live classes on frequently tested topics such as modifiers, parallelism, assumptions, inference, etc. These sessions are taught by e-GMAT experts to help students master the key concepts. These sessions provide a mechanism to students to get their queries answered in real time.
Do these sessions teach the same material that is covered in the e-Learning courses?
- Yes and no. The eLearning courses are very complete and provide the most comprehensive courses for Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning. The live sessions provide a much more dynamic and interactive environment through which we aim to stimulate student's thought process. While the eLearning courses are much more comprehensive, the live sessions fine-tune key aspects. Drawing an analogy from music, one may say that the eLearning courses are the most complete collection of an artist's work while the Live Sessions are like an on-stage performance. Both while created by the same artist have their own utility.
- e-GMAT's live sessions are very different from those conducted by other test prep companies such as Knewton, MGMAT, etc. Our sessions are analysis heavy. We don't teach many new concepts (the eLearning courses cover all concepts). In these live sessions, we focus on tackling very difficult problems (usually 700+), the various ways in which you may approach a problem and evaluate why the correct answer is correct or incorrect answer choices are incorrect. We get into the test creator's mind and explain what he was thinking when he created a particular question. It is not uncommon in a CR /SC session to come up with multiple correct answers.
Who are the live sessions designed for?
- The live sessions are designed for customers who have purchased both our Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning Courses and have completed at-least Level 1 in each course. Please note only those who have purchased both the eLearning courses are allowed to purchase the live sessions.
How should I evaluate whether I should purchase the live sessions?
- The live sessions will benefit you if your Verbal score in your recent mock test is 28+. These sessions will provide a shot in the arm and really help you increase your score.
How are the live sessions conducted?
- The live sessions are conducted using Adobe Connect Pro. This is a leading platform for educators and is used by Knewton, Kaplan, and other leading test prep companies. Click here to see a simple demo of the tool.
We started conducting live sessions in September and normally conduct one batch per month. Hence, overall the availability for these sessions is quite limited. Here is what people say about live sessions:
- Aprajita (760; Q51, V43): "Your approach to Sentence Correction leaves little room for error. I was able to answer most questions correctly once I got a hang of the approach. The few mistakes that I made were due to my oversight..." Read her testimonial here.
- Ramit: (740; Q50, V40): "Your Boldface and Evaluate sessions were exceptional. It complimented your bold face concept very well. After this session, I did not make a single mistake in these questions while practicing OG or Grockit." Read his testimonial here.
- Vinay: (700; Q49, V35): "e-GMAT SC course is BRILLIANT. I think this is priceless because I was struggling with how to approach long SC qs (those with like 3-4 clauses in-built). This is something you cannot get from Ron Purewal.s posts or videos yet (in those Thu sessions, you can only see him focusing on the incorrect part of sentence but not on how he will do that question if he was taking the GMAT and that question popped up. Payal does that)." Read his testimonial here.
- "It was excellent. I like the idea of using difficult problems and the way Rajat tries to go through all the possible explanations, his thought process. Excellent idea to have a next steps slide with very clear instructions and question recommendation." - Feedback on Bold Face Session conducted on Oct 2.
- "This is my first session .The content and the session was good .Though it was new and took time to settle down , what actually impressed me is the culture in the group ... to be as interactive as possible and to pose a question even though the question is real basic. I guess the credit goes to Payal .. because .. you only get interactive when you know someone will answer the question without judging the question"
Sample Live SessionsBelow are recordings of 4 Sample live sessions for your review. The recordings below are low quality recordings. You can log into our Verbal live Add on course to get access to some high quality recordings free of charge.
- Evaluate the reasoning session.
- Reading Comprehension session.
- GMAT strategy session.
- How to Master GMAT Verbal using e-GMAT and Grockit session.
Sessions Details and Calendar
Please find the sessions' details below. Click on the calendar icon above for schedule information.
|1||RC1 - Introduction and Strategies||In this introductory session we will look at all the RC question types, introduce the strategies to approach these questions types, and apply the strategies to 2 simple passages.|
|2||RC2 - Dealing with difficult problems||Continuing from the previous session, we will apply the strategies to more challenging problems. The goal is to ensure that we follow the strategies discussed to solve the most challenging problems.|
|3||SC 1 - Importance of Meaning||Typically students skip the most important step while solving SC questions. understanding the meaning. In this session, we prove the importance of this step by solving questions. We show how you would solve the question correctly if you do this step and how you will answer reach incorrectly if you do not do this step.|
|4||SC 2 - Modifiers 1||We will discuss how noun modifiers modify and will solve a few questions by using step by step method. We will show how you should use meaning/context to determine if the modified entity is the closest noun or the head of the noun phrase.|
|5||SC 3 - Modifiers 2||Students are typically scared of verb-ing modifiers. We will show how these modifiers can be used in various different ways. Things get more complex when we have choose between absolute modifier and verb-ing modifiers. both modify clauses. We demystify this concept in this live session.|
|6||SC 4 - Parallelism 1||We solve 4 difficult questions that test basic concept of parallelism. As always we use a step by step method to solve all questions.|
|7||SC 5 - Parallelism 2||We discuss another dreaded topic in this session. comparisons and ellipses. We show how if you think about the sentence in logical manner, even seemingly difficult questions involving comparisons, can become easy.|
|8||SC 6 - Verbs||In this session we will resolve a few doubts about the use of past perfect tense. We will discuss when past perfect tense is incorrect and when it is optional (and hence not incorrect). We will also explore the concept of "related events". We will solve 3-4 difficult questions by using the step by step method.|
|9||CR 1 - Prethinking for Assumptions||Master the skill of Prethinking. We will start the session with how to approach prethinking and apply the approach to 5-7 problems. The goal will be to prethink multiple assumptions for each problem. Since finding assumptions is the foundation for Strengthen, Weaken, and Evaluate question types, this concept is a great first concept.|
|10||CR 2 - Argument structure and strengthen||We will look at 3 kinds of argument structures common in strengthen questions and evaluate ways to adapt our prethinking depending on the argument structure. We will tackle six 700+ level problems in this session.|
|11||CR 3 - Evaluate||Having tackled strengthen, we will move on to evaluate. We will leverage the prethinking skills and use the variance analysis to solve some of the most challenging problems.|
|12||CR 4 - Weaken||Following an approach similar to the one for Strengthen questions, we will evaluate various argument structures and adapt our prethinking to tackle various weaken questions.|
|13||CR 5 - Bold Face and MOR||We will look at some minor question types, such as Bold face and Method of Reasoning in this session. The focus will be on a consistent approach to solve these questions.|
|14||CR 6 - Summary||We will summarize all the question types in this session. This session is student driven. The goal is to do a recap of all the sessions and address any questions that students have.|
- How do I attend the live sessions? - To attend the live sessions, log on to e-GMAT using your account and get to Verbal Live Add on course and click on the live session that you want to attend.
- Can I attend the same session multiple times? - Yes you may attend the same session multiple times during your subscription period.
- Do I get access to the recordings of the sessions that I have attended? - Yes, you will get access to the recordings of all the sessions, the ones you have attended and the ones you haven't attended.
- I am based in India where the internet is not very fast. Will I still be able to attend the live sessions? - Yes, our sessions are optimized for low speeds. You should be able to attend the session if you have a 256 kbps connection. Many of our customers are from India, and they have no problems attending these sessions.